Help support The Salem Historical Society by using the link at the bottom of this page to purchase from Amazon.
Offices are located in the upper level of the Dale Shaffer Research Library
208 South Broadway Ave
Salem, OH 44460
Weekly Sunday 1-4pm
Monthly 3rd Tuesday 6-9pm
(May through October)
Tours are also available by appointment, call 330-337-8514
Tours begin at the front door of the Pearce House at 208 South Broadway.
Trolley Tours begin at the lower level of Dale Shaffer Library on South Lundy Ave.
The Salem Historical Society
Main Entry for Meeting Room and Gift Shop in the lower level of
Dale Shaffer Research Library
239 South Lundy
(330) 337 - 8514
....researching, preserving, showcasing
The Salem Historical Society
One of seven children, JeanAlice grew up in a small town in eastern Pennsylvania and graduated from High School in 1944, D-Day. Despite the hardships of the Great Depression and World War II, education was a fundamental part of JeanAlice’s family, and all of her siblings earned college degrees. She earned a Bachelor of Science from Kutztown State University in 1947, followed by a Master of Arts from Columbiana University in 1949, and a second Master of Arts in special education from Youngstown State University in 1977. Not just a student, JeanAlice has taught seminars on the topic of learning disabled children at both Kent State and Youngstown State Universities.
JeanAlice taught elementary school in Pennsylvania and Illinois, and special education for 20 years at Reilly Elementary in Salem. In addition, she holds a principal’s certificate. Her teaching experience encompasses over 30 years, and she is acknowledged as a pioneer in developing the techniques for teaching learning disabled children.
Always civic minded and community oriented, JeanAlice’s involvement has been with organizations such as the Jaycettes, Business and Professional Women’s Organization, and as President of the American Association of University Women. She is also a past President of Women helping Women. JeanAlice is a current member and past Chairman of the Beautification Committee and Salem Renaissance. She was an organizer for the Kent State Conference Commemorating 150 years of the Salem Women’s Rights convention of 1850.
History and preservation are her passions. She has served on every position on the Salem Historical Society Board and acted as a docent for the museum for many years. She and her husband Ken were founders of the Salem Preservation Society. JeanAlice was a member of Salem Bicentennial Committee, and served on the Jubilee Committee through its 20-year run.
JeanAlice has organized and opened her home for the Salem Historical Home Tours. Most dear to her heart, she founded the First Ladies performance group. JeanAlice was awarded the YWCA Woman of Achievement Community Service Leadership Award and the Salem Rotary Club, Service Above Self Award.
JeanAlice was married to the late Kenneth Fehr for 57 years, and they had three children, Craig, Kevin and Karenjean, four grandchildren, three step-grandchildren and two step-great-granddaughters.
Dr. Elizabeth Grisell
Lizzie was born in 1830 in New Garden, Ohio. She attended rural schools, Salem schools, seminary in Delaware, Ohio, an early session at WMC (Women’s Medical College ) in Philadelphia, and then matriculated at and graduated from the Medical Department of Western Reserve College (CWRU) in 1856. Dr. Grisell was one of the first seven women in the U.S. to graduate from a coeducational, allopathic, medical school prior to the Civil War, a time when it was not thought proper or fitting for women to be doctors. She said, “A women physician had then to blaze her way through a forest of prejudice, where trials lurked on every side.”
She practiced in Cleveland for six years and was well-respected there. She came home to doctor in Salem for six more years. In 1864, she helped found the Union Medical Society - one of the first females to be admitted to any such organization. She returned to WMC for the 1868-69 session to do post graduate study while serving as Assistant Physician at the Women’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Then for two and a half years, she was Attending Physician at the Hospital for Women and Children in San Francisco, active in the state medical society, and published in the Western Journal of Medicine. Around 1872, she returned to Salem to care for women and children until her retirement in 1906. She died in 1910.
Lizzie was the second daughter of Quaker abolitionists Charles D. and Mary Smith Grisell who farmed 180 acres in New Garden. The Grisell’s were close to the Hise family and Pap’s Diary records them as patients, her as a guest at various functions, and lecturing upon returning from California. In 1855, the Grisell’s relocated to 805 South Lincoln Avenue where Elizabeth also lived during her residence in Salem. She never married but remained close to her six sisters. She was a member of the Episcopalian Church.
Russell C. Loudon
Russell Loudon was born in New Garden , Ohio in 1928, and moved to Winona in 1942. He is a 1946 Salem High School graduate. Russ went on to study at the Ohio State University, and furthered his education at the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science.
He served his apprenticeship at the Eckard Funeral Home in Akro, Ohio, and became a licensed funeral director and embalmer in 1950. During that time he met his wife of 62 years, Marilyn Williams, who was a nursing student at Akron General Hospital. They married in 1956. Together they moved to Salem where he purchased part ownership of Stark Memorial from Jack R. Harroff, along with partner James Giffin, who later retired.
Community involvement and support of many Salem organizations have been key to his success in both business and his reputation.
Russell’s current memberships include the First Presbyterian Church, Saxon Club, Salem Hose Club, past President and member of the Salem Rotary Club, Salem Elks, a 62-year Mason, Al Koran Shrine, and the remaining founding member and past President of the Winona Ruritans Club. Other accomplishments include past President of the Salem Area Chamber of Commerce, 25-year member of the Board of Trustees for the Salem Community Hospital, board member of the Salem City Health Department, former Chairman of the United Way, and Chairman of the Salem Jubilee Ball.
The Salem Chamber of Commerce recently honored Russell with a special award for the beautiful landscaping surrounding the funeral home through the years that continues to enrich the city. He takes pride in entertaining and honoring the members of the Salem Color Guard and their spouses. He has enjoyed providing the funeral home lawn for seating and providing various snacks to all those in attendance during the former annual Jubilee Parades. He is a strong supporter of the Columbiana County Fair and the 4-H Steer Program.
His family includes his wife Marilyn, daughter Julie (Sam) Johnson, and his two grandchildren, Paige and Hayden Johnson, who are the joy of his life.
To make reservations, call 330-337-6733. $25 per person is required in advance and can be paid by cash, check, or credit card.
During the 2006 Salem Bicentennial, 24 persons connected to Salem were recognized as "Citizens of Honor". Since that time two have been added each year for a total of 46. Information of each person is featured on the exhibit in the Pearce Building. The intent has been adding two citizens each year during the annual Founders' Day activities.
This year, however, it was decided to add a third citizen, one from the 20th Century less they be forgotten for their influence and contribution to Salem’s growth and successes.
Therefore, selections for the 2018 “Citizens of Honor“ class, JeanAlice Fehr, Russell Loudon, and from the 20th Century Dr. Elizabeth Grisell, will be officially recognized during the April 24th Founders' Day dinner.
The Pick-A-Prize Auction will be held with merchandise, gift baskets, and gift certificates from local merchants.
It is time to reserve your seat
Founders Day Dinner
Tuesday, April 24, 2018
Doors open at 5pm
Dinner served at 6pm
Bone Shakers Restaurant
Recent visitors to the Salem Historical Society Museum were Isabella Vingle and her mother, Tegan. Because of Isabella’s interest in history, arrangements were made to visit the Museum on her Spring Break.
Docent, Jerry Laska, gave the tour of the Society’s four buildings. Isabella not only visited the museum, but she became the Society’s newest youth member, a new category of membership to involve the younger generation.
Others interested in tours of the Museum are invited to call the Society, 330-337-8514, to make arrangements. Call the same number if interested in Society memberships.